Tuesday 14 October 2014

THE NEW WORLD.......

Like most students who are studying with me, I love literature and cinema. Last Sunday, I saw a film which blends both arts beautifully. In addition, I found the soundtrack and the photography especially good, so I thought it would be a great idea to share it with all of you. If you are interested in the history of the United States and in American Literature, you may enjoy it as much as I did: The New World, is a 2005 British-American romantic historical drama film written and directed by Terrence Malick, depicting the founding of the Jamestown, Virginia settlement and inspired by the historical figures Captain John Smith, Pocahontas of the Powatan Native American tribe, and the handsome Englishman, John Rolfe. Just as an appetizer, watch the trailer and if you like it, watch the film. I'd be really grateful if you sent me your comments...... Remember that it was Captain John Smith who wrote "The General HIstory of Virginia, New England ant the Summer Isles, click here to see the original text of Book III, chapter 2, and the transcription from the original.